USER:
PASS:

Forums
Call of Duty World at War Zombies :: Forums :: Zombie Discussion :: Anything Zombie Related

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
The Super-uber extremely comprehensive Zombie Guide!!
Go to page       >>  
Moderators: smithster, dcslim
Author Post
Quertior
Sat Nov 29 2008, 02:54AM
Registered Member #138
OK this is meant to be a multi-section guide-to-end-all guides. I'll do my best on it...

SECTION 1: WEAPONS

Bolt rifles
  • Kar98k is the only bolt rifle you should need to use. You grab it in the first room, and it holds you at least until level 4.
  • Springfield is pretty much useless. Don't use it.
    Scoped variants of each of these are available from the mystery box. I don't reccomend picking them up unless you're swapping for the default pistol, or an empty gun.

Semi-auto rifles
  • M1 Garand is not very good. The clip is too small to kill zombies even with headshots on later levels. The only time the M1 is very useful is when it comes with the 'nade launcher.
  • M1A1 carbine is moderately good up to the 5th level. I reccomend that you don't buy it off the wall, but do grab it if you get it from the box. It has many of the Garand's shortcomings (it's actually a deriviative of the M1), but the larger clip means that you can down a zombie without having to reload.
  • Gewehr 43 is pretty much the same as M1A1, moderately powerful but not as good for later levels.
  • PTRS-41 is absolutely GODLY and probably the best of the semi-autos. Up until later levels, the PTRS is a 1-shot kill at ALL RANGES. You can no-scope zombies up close, or snipe them with the scope. Definitely reccomended, although it gets harder to use with the bigger waves later on. In my experience, not enough people pick these up. I don't reccomend buying it for 1500 points (from the chest upstairs) but I do reccomend grabbing it if you get it from the mystery box.

SMGS and full auto rifles
  • Tommy gun works great for the lower levels. I have found that aiming at the upper torso of the zombie will cause the tommygun to drift up just enough for a headshot. Very swift and efficient until about level 7 or 8, where the tommygun is too underpowered to be useful.
  • MP40 is slightly more powerful than the tommygun, however it does not have the "automatic-headshot" tendancy that I described. I prefer the tommygun myself. Just like the tommygun, the MP40 loses its effectiveness about level 7 or 8.
  • StG44 is powerful, and can kill zombies eficiently with headshots. It makes a good backup weapon until about level 9.

Machine Guns
  • BAR is another gun that's very efficient and deadly in the earlier levels, but loses its effectiveness later on. The power actually isn't the problem, it's plenty powerful for late-game zombies, but the 20-round clip will not work for the big waves later.
  • FG42 is not very useful. It has a dismally small clip size, and it's not very accurate. Not reccomended. It is, however, decent in earlier levels for window clearing. Kinda the same as the BAR.
  • MG42 Is a GREAT gun for any time in the game. It's great for point guarding or holding a chokepoint. The only problem is you eventually have to reload, and the reload time for MG's is dismal.
  • Browning M1919 is another GREAT late-game gun. Almost exactly the same advice as for the MG42. Great for spraying.

Shotguns
  • 1897 Trench gun is a 1-shot kill at close range. It keeps its effectiveness until very high levels, although it can be hard to use without a backup weapon. Clip size is nice.
  • Double-barreled shotgun is pretty much the same as the 1897 as far as damage. The only difference is that you can fire two shots in quick succession, but then you have to reload. Reloading every 5 seconds can be hard during large battles. A sawed-off version is also available.

Pistols
  • Colt M1911 is complete and utter CRAP. Replace it as soon as you can.
  • .357 magnum is a great weapon. It's a 1-shot kill at close to medium range. An all-around great weapon up to the low teen levels, where clip size beccomes a concern.
    Note that when you go into last stand, if you have a .357 magnum or raygun (see below), you use that instead of the default M1911. Therefore. It is in your best interest to have a magnum or (preferably) a raygun at all times. Also note that if you have both, the .357 magnum takes precedence over the raygun.

Other/miscellaneous
  • Panzershreck (bazooka) is not very useful. It's basically like an oversized grenade launcher. Good for taking out groups of zombies, but then you end up with 20 crawling undead to kill. Not reccomended. You're liable to kill yourself when you use it (and your teammates will not want to revive you).
  • Grenades are reccomended for clearing out groups of zombies. The only problem is that the grenades always end up overshooting the group of zombies...
  • Molotov cocktails are much more useful. Use them at will if you get them. The only way to get them is from the mystery box. Remember that they don't take up a weapon slot, so there is no reason not to take them. Also remember that they don't restock at the end of the round like frags do.
  • Flamethrower is not as good as it might seem. It can spray zombies very well, but the problem is it takes 3-4 seconds for the zombies to burn out. This is enough time for them to kill you. The flamethrower works well in two circumstances: (1) Zombies outside making their way in, where the time does not matter, and (2) when insta-kill is on, where the spraying ability can clear a room in two seconds.
  • Ray gun. it needs no introduction. It is basically the only weapon someone on your team absolutely NEEDS to advance to the higher levels. It is a 1-shot kill at ALL RANGES. Whoever has the raygun needs to drift around and cover people reviving or reloading.

SECTION 2: MULTIPLAYER ZOMBIE STRATEGY

OK, so you and 3 teammates start on the default "Nacht der Untoten" level. Everyone should let the first and maybe second waves get in so that you can (1) get extra points for knifing them; (2)Get any powerups they might hold; and (3) get extra points for rebuilding windows. If and when you run out of ammo, buy a Kar98k. Don't buy an M1A1 carbine from the wall. Sometime about level 4 or 5 you should have to buy more ammo unless you got an ammo powerup.

When you reach level 6, head into the help room. Everyone should take at least one try at the random box. If anyone gets a really good weapon (MG42, raygun, etc.), they are the drifter. if anyone needs help, they are there ASAP. Continue like this for as long as you can, taking repeated stabs at the box.

At about level 9 or 10, everyone should withdraw to the help room. The distribution of people is as follows: whoever has an MG42 or Browning guards the door. He should have a shotty or another MG as a backup for when he has to reload. Two people with .357 magnums, shotties, PTRS-41s, or rayguns look after the windows and hole in the wall. Finally one person with a raygun drifts around and helps whoever needs help. Stay in this configuration for as long as you can.

Eventually the doorman will get overrun and someone will end up the last man standing. He can defeat the remaining horde by running in a circle repeatedly around the help room, with his raygun or MG. Remember, the zombies run slower than you. He can kill them as much as he can with his super-powerful raygun/MG. If he finds an atomic-bomb powerup, he should run for it.

After this last man standing defeats the horde, he should revive his teammates (or they will respawn). If they respawn, they lose all their weapons and should repeatedly poll the box until they get rayguns/MGs.

Once everyone is rearmed, you should open the staircase from the help room. Head to the corner with the grenades. This is where you will make your last stand. The corner is protected on three sides and easily defensible. Everyone equips MGs to start. If anyone has a flamethrower, they cover the window (otherwise whoever is available). Try to stagger your fire so that two people fire while the other reloads, etc. Eventually you will run out of ammo for your MG. Immediately switch to your raygun and fire away. Again, stagger your fire if possible. Also remember to cover the window guard who will have his back turned to the doorway.

If you survive one wave using this strategy, and you didn't get an ammo powerup, IMMEDIATELY head down to the box room and get another MG or raygun. The box is unlikely to give you a gun you already have, so trade in your MG/raygun early. If at all possible, keep one zombie alive at the end of the round to give you time to repeatedly hit the box. Head upstairs again AS SOON AS you have an MG/raygun. Continue the "last stand" method as long as you can. Nothing lasts forever, though, and you will be overrun eventually. But at least it was fun.

REVISION LOG
11/28/08: First revision. Wrote weapons section and multiplayer guide.

11/29/08: Added revision log (lol). Expanded weapons section. Altered guide at the behest of our brave little toaster.

[ Edited Sun Nov 30 2008, 04:17AM ]
smithster
Sat Nov 29 2008, 06:47AM
smithster

Registered Member #1
Thanks for that Quertior, and welcome to the forums.
Quertior
Sat Nov 29 2008, 07:04AM
Registered Member #138
It's a work in progress... I'll probably finish it tomorrow or the next day.
thetoast
Sat Nov 29 2008, 11:12PM
Registered Member #18
i have a few problems w/ your plans.
in the first 2 rounds save your money! Round one let the zombies in and knife them it's more points then headshots plus in round 1 they die in 1 knife plus you get more points for repairing the windows. you can end the first round w/ over 1500 points. Also opening the door at 6 six is a good plan, but it does not leave much time for poping the box. i open the help(there in no hell )door asap zombies are still easy to kill. you can defend the "help" room easy w/ a tommy. falling back to just the "help" room around 8 or 9 is way to early. usaly this happens around 12-15. Going upstairs is a good plan around lvl18. defending yourself from the corner is always good. but by lvl 23 or so you are going to be over run. opening up the other stair will take presure off the one door and divide the incoming zombies in half. defending the stairs to main room is very easy you can shoot the zombies at the bottom and also guard the window in the upper room at the same time. by this time is going to be a crap shoot. 2 on stairs and 2 on door. also you forgot to put in the part about holding 1 zombie at a window at the end of a round so people and pop the box and not worry about incoming zombies.
Quertior
Sat Nov 29 2008, 11:44PM
Registered Member #138
Thanks for the pointers. I hadn't thought of the bit about letting them in and then knifing them. I'll try your strategy tonight. I'll add in whatever seems to work for me and my friends.

P.S.: You didn't comment on my weapons guide, what do you think of it?
thetoast
Sun Nov 30 2008, 01:04AM
Registered Member #18
Your weapons run down is very nice!! the only thing is the flamethrower. while upstairs making your last stand the M2 flame is better then you think. It never runs outta ammo only over heats. it's useful to shoot out the window next to the door upstairs then when to zombies come in it's easier for your teamates to drop them w/ their MG's, that only draw back is the M2 cause mass confusion and can block peoples view. so i suggest short bursts out the window while you mates down flaming fuckers w/ their mg's
Tangokillah
Sun Nov 30 2008, 02:09AM
Registered Member #152
Ever try not opening the help door....ever?? Once you get between levels 5-8, open up the stairwell from the main room, and then at some point in time very soon after, or even immediately, open up the back stairwell but still leaving the help room door closed. This limits the zombies to the 2 windows, the cave, and the back stairwell in the help room. 2 of us held them off for 21 rounds easily until we called it a night cuz it was late. Both of us had a laser and an mg. The one with the most ammo on the laser guarded the stairwell and the other guarded the 2 windows and the cave with the mg and then swapped every round. With 3 or 4 people this would be even easier. We make an attempt to gimp 1 zombie every round towards the end with a grenade so we can board up windows and/or try our luck at the toybox if needed. Try it sometime....I used this strategy to get to level 14 by myself..
Quertior
Sun Nov 30 2008, 03:44AM
Registered Member #138
Yeah, but the last stand upstairs has still fewer points of entry: there is the one window adjacent to the stairway, and then there's the door funneling in from the help room and other window.
Tangokillah
Sun Nov 30 2008, 11:24AM
Registered Member #152
And if you start to get overrun?? No where to run to. Down in the help room you can run in circles to a certain degree. Also downstairs you have more options for weapons like the thompson, the shotty, and the toybox. In the last stand area u have the nades and the sawdoff shotty. To each his own though. Either one I think would work, they have their advantages and disadvantages.
Schilli
Sun Nov 30 2008, 11:39AM
Registered Member #15
ray gun doesn't kill with one shot kills on later wave.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, Forum Moderator, Member

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF